Subscribe:

Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Make your eyes like your screen better..

         Ever notice how at night when you use your computer your face has a blue glow? That is because our monitors are designed for use in the day, so the light coming from them is supposed to be like the sun. But it can't be good for your eyes to look at the sun at say, 9 PM or 2 AM. I know a lot of people use the computer after dark so this is a very useful application.
  Its called F.lux. You can get it here. It is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Iphone, and Ipad.

"So what exactly does F.lux do to save my eyes from a lot of strain?" you may ask.

    It changes the warmth of the colors on the screen to suit the time of day.
In the daytime the colors will be like sunlight, while at night he colors will be be warmer to reduce strain on your. You might have to enter your rough location and/or time of day to get the software set up. I didn't have to, but some people have to do it. F.lux isn't a virus as far as I've used it and I don't let it access the Internet for updates because I feel that there is no need for an update. You have the option to make it a slow transition (60 minutes) from cool to warm colors and vice-versa, or you can make it a fast transition (20seconds). I use fast because I like to see the colors become warm. It's your choice what you use since its completely customizable. You can even specify how warm you want the colors to be in day or night. For those who think your computer will slow down because of this check this:

 1. Uninstall all the bloatware that your computer came with (Symantec, and other junk). Trust me these will use a lot more system memory checking for updates and starting up than F.lux does.

2. To save your memory turn of the checking for updates setting by right clicking it in the system tray and unchecking the option "Check for updates daily".

3. Flux only uses on average around 850 to 1000 K of my memory. That is a lot less than say my Firefox which uses around 400,000 K with Facebook, Pandora, and E-Mail open. I hope this puts things in perspective for you.

F.lux is from Stereopsis. The download is only around 500 kb, and it is (obviously) very fast.It really does work well, and even if you don't your eyes will thank me!


Stay tuned for more posts to add more to your life. 

Any questions? Use the comments section. :)

Note: I don't know if this is the problem of F.lux or of my ageing monitor but while playing games the monitor was flickering. So I checked  the box "disable for one hour". The flicker did continue so I don't think it's the problem of F.lux. Anyhow it might be better for you to disable F.lux while gaming. But please remember F.lux does not affect any viewing of videos (I tested with Youtube), so no problems there so far. So there really is no reason why you shouldn't download F.lux.

0 comments:

Post a Comment